Tiki Oasis, the annual festival of all things tiki, begins tonight in San Diego. It is the 14th edition of the largest tiki gathering, and an occasion to meet fellow tiki lovers from all over the world, in an environment that includes live music, exotic cocktails, seminars, and art shows.
Events not to be missed include the following:
- The opening night at the Bali Hai, with plenty of music and Polynesian dancers (Thursday at 6 pm)
- The CaliTiki seminar about Polynesian-themed establishments of the mid-century era (Friday at 11 am)
- A presentation on bitters by San Diego cocktail entrepreneur Ram Udwin (Friday at 3:30). Support his serrano cocktail spice project if you haven’t already done so.
- Sven Kirsten’s Tiki Pop presentation, which follows the footsteps of his Paris exhibit (Saturday at 10 am)
- One of the highlights for me each year is Martin Cate’s presentation on rum, replete with entertaining anecdotes and interesting samples (Saturday at 2:00 and 4:00)
- I am also looking forward to Violet Beretta’s hula class (Saturday at 2:00), and the fabulous live music every evening.
- King Kukulele’s Tiki Tot tour, a favorite of young tiki enthusiasts (Sunday at 9:30)
- Charles Phoenix’s slide show is always a riot (Sunday at 11:00). I wonder if he will throw donuts at the delirious crowd again this year.
- There are also a lot of non-official events, including a legendary tiki room crawl (more details on Tiki Central).
I will see you at Tiki Oasis!
King Kukulele at Tiki Oasis 2011
Violetta Beretta as a hula girl lamp at the 2011 Don Tiki concert
Photography by Chimay Bleue